Lucas is a Melbourne-based writer and PhD candidate. His work has appeared in Australian Book Review, Going Down Swinging, The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald, Arena Magazine, Pursuit, Election Watch, Voiceworks, New Matilda, Right Now, Above Water, Farrago, FIRST, Writer’s Bloc, Young Diplomat, Independent Australia, Offset and Burley.
Lucas is currently completing a doctorate in political science at The University of Melbourne, focussing on the Brexit referendum and its implications for liberal democracy. Other research interests include national identity, globalisation, migration, trade and Australian history. Lucas has provided political analysis to: ABC News; ABC Radio (Melbourne, Perth, Gippsland); Sky News (PVO NewsDay, Business Channel); and Nine News (Melbourne, Sydney). He holds degrees in politics/international relations, history, editing, business, and accounting.
Lucas is passionate about progressive politics, independent media, philosophy, history, travel and companion animals (shout out to our two cool cats, Gandalf and Dumbledore).
1. Omnium Gatherum A mosaic of past works including political commentary, creative non fiction and fiction. These exclusive works are published elsewhere:
- ‘Big-League Little Lives‘, May 2017, a review of the Quarterly Essay The White Queen for Australian Book Review.
- ‘Pyrrhic dissolution: Transaction costs of the Turnbull coup‘, Jan 2017, a review of The Turnbull Gamble for Australian Book Review.
- ‘Thinking like hawks‘, August 2016, a review of the Quarterly Essay Firing Line for Australian Book Review.
- ‘First as tragedy, second as farce‘, June 2016, a review of The Road To Ruin and Credlin & Co. for Australian Book Review.
2. The Last Flood Trilogy A childhood daydream pursued sporadically for fun. Lucas self published the debut, Cleopatra’s Daughter, not long ago.
3. Bite Sized Books Three novellas containing: coming-of-age urban horror, thirteen short stories circa the social fringes, scifi dystopia.
All feedback welcome. Lucas is open to freelance work. You can contact him via: thedailycatcher(at)gmail(dot)com.